11.02.2012

My obsession with B.Nut Squash



You can roast it.
You can toast it.
You can host it!

Ok, now I’m just rhyming for fun.

No, but seriously- I’m in love (and I'm just now noticing how phallic it is- sick!). Any way you cook this stuff, it is fan-freakin’-tastic. Over the past month, I have put it in stews, soups, made baked chips, mashed it…
But last night, I was slightly inspired.
I had time. I had wine. I had butternut squash.
And so, low and behold- I created: Butternut squash + goat cheese pie.

YUM.

I am not a food blogger and therefore I didn't properly document or measure- but I figured it could give you the jist of it and you can try it if you like!

You will need:
Garlic (2 cloves, minced)
an Onion (a small one, diced)
A shallot (diced)
olive oil
Flour
Salt/Pepper
Fresh Sage
Butter
Butternut squash (about 1 lb)
Goat cheese
White wine

First, get about a lb of bnutz squash (i was lazy and bought a package of the pre-cut stuff...NOT frozen). Put your oven to 400 and roast the shiz out of it on a baking sheet until it is tender and a pretty shade of yellowy-brown.

While that is roasting- make some savory pie crust!
I used this recipe, but doubled it.
 Form the dough into two balls (hehe), wrap in plastic and put in the fridge.

Then, over medium heat, pour a little olive oil in a skillet, let it get nice and toasty, then toss in your shallot, the onion and garlic. Cook that up with a little S&P until it is tender/smells amaze.
Take about an 1/8th of a cup of the white wine, take a sip, (JK) and then add to onion mix and cook until reduced. Toss in some fresh chopped sage.

Then, when the squash is done- throw it in a bowl with the onion mixture and mash the hell out of it. Toss in 1/2 cup of crumbled goat cheese and mix well.

Here is where I got lazy. Instead of making a real 'pie'- I just rolled out the dough into smallish circles- maybe 6 inches across or so, plopped some of the squash mix into the middle, then folded the circle over so they kind of looked like calzones, and sealed the edges with a fork. Don't forget to cut slits in the crust!

Then I baked the mini pies for 40ish minutes (until golden brown) at 375.

Then I inhaled them.

the end.

Are you obsessed with any food lately?

2 comments:

B said...

this sounds amaze. def making this. but im gonna buy the crust because i am that lazy!

happy friday!

Gina Gao said...

Squash sounds pretty amazing.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com