8.01.2012

take a walk with me

i know I write about Portland a lot. I know I talk about Maine a lot.
what can I say? I am lucky enough to love where I live.
i am also lucky enough to work right in the heart of Portland. So, when I go out at lunch to grab a sandwich, I get to walk around some really cool areas/streets.

when you walk down Exchange street in Portland, you are surrounded by people- both tourist and locals. almost always (when the weather is nice) there are a few 'musicians' lining the street, guitar cases open for change, strumming away to their own melodies, singing loudly into the humid air. coffee shops, restaurants and boutiques cluster, doors open to invite customers- air conditioners are a rarity in these parts. if you take a deep breath and your nose will catch the not-so-subtle scents of lobster bait, coffee, popcorn and grilled meat. Sounds gross, but somehow works. when the wind hits just right, the air smells hoppy- courtesy of Shipyard and their wonderful brewery.

from most streets downtown, you can hear the water- not 'waves' per say, but boats, horns, seagulls...all sounds that you can imagine would happen on a busy fishing harbor.

i think i just continue to fall in love with this city, and today on my walk to work (from my parking lot, many a block away) i just kept thinking about it. maybe i'd be like this about any city i lived in, but i don't think so. There is something just small and cozy and comforting about Portland.

Come visit me, won't you?

6 comments:

Legally Lovely said...

I would loooooove to go to Maine. I watched an Anthony Bourdain show on it once and it looked so cozy and full of seafood, which is right up my alley.

Alivia said...

I think I SHALL.

Niken said...

you describe it beautifully. sounds like a peaceful place to be

B said...

this sounds so lovely. im liking the hustle and bustle of the city for now, but i ultimately would love to be in a place like that!!

def want to come visit someday!

Tricia said...

So I grew up 5 minutes out of Portland and it is still by far my favorite city EVER. Say what you want about NYC or Boston, Portland is the best.
I want to move back to be close to Portland SO BADLY. I am extremely jealous!

Empirically Erin said...

I live here too! I'm your newest follower. :) Portland IS the best.