8.16.2012

I'm a runner.

the other day I was at the doctor's office for a checkup and she asked what I do for exercise.
I told her that I run 4-6 days a week- sometimes every day.
She then said, "oh, so you're a runner!"
My first reaction was to correct her and say, "no no, not a runner- just like to run!"

I don't understand why I didn't think of myself as a "runner". I mean, I lace up almost on a daily basis, have run road races and half marathons, and I still didn't identify as a runner.

I AM a runner though.
Yeah so I don't do 8 minute miles.
and yeah, so my running attire isn't always posh or stylish.
my form isn't perfect.
I am far from competitive.

but I run,
and because I run and I like it and it helps keep me sane,
I think it is finally time for me to admit that I am, in fact, a runner.

it is my thing. it is what I do.
it is something that my body craves if I go more than 2 days without it.
it is a stress release.
a mood lifter.
me time.

I am a runner!

I guess I've learned that to call yourself something- be it a dancer, yogi, ball player, rower- whatever it may be, you don't need to be perfect at it, or the best. You just need to need it. to love it. to enjoy spending time in the day doing it.

so in case you're like me, and you're afraid to call yourself a runner (or whatever it is you do), let go and just be!

4 comments:

B said...

go for you! man that is a lot of running!

Alivia said...

Let go and just be!
I love it!

Vanisha @ Vanishas Life In...Australia said...

I agree with you completely - I used to cringe when people referred to me as a 'leader' I hated the term but lately I've become a tiny bit more accepting of it. Go and Be - it would be a great philosophy for life.

Mel said...

Love this. I need to listen to that lesson of letting go and just being.