11.11.2011

eleveneleveneleven and a rant.

1111111111111
SO many people I know are going to weddings today on 11/11/11- make a wish right? It is a little cheesy, no?
Are you ready for a rant, cause here it comes.

Last weekend, we went to a wedding. It was in Massachusetts and between two wonderful men.  The wedding was one of the most touching, loving and beautiful ceremonies I have EVER been to. The love and support from everyone present and the love between the two groomsmen was just overwhelming.

But you know what makes me so angry? The fact that Massachusetts is one of the very few states (I can count on ONE hand + 1) that "allows" (I hate that word, too) marriage between same sex couples.  In fact, most states outright BAN it.

I do not get it. I don't understand! I really really don't. And if you are reading this and you disagree with my point of view, don't even try to "make" me understand.   "Marriage (or wedlock) is a social union or legal contract between people that creates kinship. It is an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually intimate and sexual, are acknowledged in a variety of ways, depending on the culture or subculture in which it is found. Such a union, often formalized via a wedding ceremony, may also be called matrimony." This is Wikipedia's definition. Nothing in there specifies why states should be allowed to dictate who can be allowed to marry.  Merriam Webster has a different definition and adds in the words "between a man and woman" and this is the definition that I have heard as a clear cut argument from those who oppose gay marriage- "well, marriage is defined as being between a man and a woman".

PFFFfffffFfffffft seriously? Really???? That is your argument? The same dictionary that holds the marriage definition you are so stuck to, also defines "bling bling" and "textaholic".

People forget, I think, that marriage at its core, is about love. Or maybe rather, that it should be about love. The same states that do not allow marriage between same sex couples do, however, allow couples to get married and then instantly divorce if they so choose. I didn't want to bring this up, but...Kim Kardashian? She has been married twice, her second marriage lasting all of 2 seconds. Britney Spears? Yeah. Of course it is gay marriage that is ruining the institution of marriage and not those who treat marriage like buying a new cell phone.

I don't understand why people have a problem with it and I never will. I don't understand why in 2011, in a country that is so advanced- in a time where we are so tech savy- in a country that worked so hard to afford civil rights for all of its citizens- that there are those out there who steadfastly oppose gay marriage and are willing to dump millions of dollars into preventing it.

Love. That is what marriage should boil down to. People should be allowed to marry who they want when they want. Now, I'm not saying that polygamy should be granted or you should be allowed to marry their favorite goat... but two people who are in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together should be able to do so by marriage and without any regard to what sex they are.

I know people disagree with me. Doesn't mean I have to understand why. I will always believe in love. 

1 comment: