10.29.2011

veggies = good

So, some of you may have noticed i'm trying (trying is the KEY word) to add tabs across the top of the blog. Successfully managed to get them there, however cannot for the freaking life of me figure out how to change the font so it isn't that weird italic-y font. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be much appreciated. Gah.

Moving on...whenever it is my turn to cook dinner, I tend to stick with veggies. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but don't really like cooking meat so avoid it at all costs. The other night it was cold, rainy and just a miserable day. I wanted dinner to be everything the day was not- warm, toasty, cheesy... so I got some veggies, I got some cheese and went to town.


Viola! What you see here: crispy oven baked eggplant fries and a toasted mozzarella sammies! Well, the sandwich had fresh mozz, pesto, baby arugula, artichoke hearts, olives, and tomatoes.  Basically I just piled all the stuff on the focaccia bread, then baked it in the oven at 425 for about 15 minutes. 

The eggplant fries- honestly I had no idea what I was doing. I cut them up, dunked them in an egg wash then tossed them in a bag of planko bread crumbs.  They only took about 8 minutes on each side to bake and were crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and full of flavor. Of course we dunked them in ranch dressing. Lemme just say, this meal was perfect for a cold fall night. I suppose you can't really go wrong with melted cheese and veggies though, can you?

I LOVE cooking in the fall/winter. Don't get me wrong, making food in the summer is great too- the grill, yummy salads...but there is just something about baking/cooking/crock-potting (?) when it is cold out that is super satisfying. 

Come over, let me stuff you full of food. Ok?




2 comments:

Alivia said...

Um. Gimmie somma that sandwich.

Emily said...

YUM.


(also: design, template designer, advanced, tabs text?)