8.26.2010

love is food

Last night it was rainy and gross- and I LOVED it. Okay, it has been a beautiful summer, sun and warm weather-- perfect! But, there is nothing like a nice rainy night to cozy up on the couch and eat warm food and read a good book. I couldn't quite decide what to make for dinner based on my want of something warm.  We have loads of fresh veggies in the fridge so I decided to go with quiche! YUM. It is easy, cheesy (ha!) and a comfort food to me. Plus, it would let me use all the veggies.  I went to the store, got a few needed items and some farm fresh eggs (no gross salmonella for me, thankyouverymuch) and whipped up one of the yummiest quiches I have ever made! I didn't take pictures of this, cause i'm forgetful doober, but here is how you make it! (please keep in mind the measurement are rough guesses since I usually measure by the handful!)

Ham & Veggie Quiche
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded ham
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1/2 cup diced tomato
  • 1 cup shredded spinach
  • 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup chopped black olives
  • 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • pie crust (i use the pre-made stuff, like Pillsbury pie crust in the refrigerated section)
Pre heat oven to 425, or whatever the pie crust package says.  Lightly grease the pie plate with cooking spray and place 1 pie crust, pressing edges over pie plate edge with fork. Prick the pie crust with a fork so it doesn't bubble! Cover edges of pie crust with tin foil (this aint easy). Bake for 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown.

While the crust is baking, in a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs with a fork. You CAN use mostly egg whites and just a few yolks if you're watching your cholesterol. Add milk, salt & pepper. Then add remaining ingredients and stir until all coated with egg/milk mixture. It should be pretty thick with veggies. This recipe is definitely more filling based than egg based!

Once crust is done, remove foil and pour the mixture into the still hot pie crust.  Lower oven temp to 350 and bake for 35 minutes or until it doesn't wobble when you shake it! Remove from oven, sprinkle top with some cheese of choice, let sit for 5 minutes, then EAT!

Jeff swooned over this- no he didn't propose, but I'm working on a meal to get him there! :)

No comments: